Monday, October 24, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? October 24th

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted each week over at Sheila's blog, One Person's Journey Through A World Of Books. Thanks for hosting this piece of fun each week.

I had a pretty good reading week last week, finishing several books, and even getting them reviewed right away.

Last week I read, in reverse order:
War Horse by Michael Morpurgo. Kids, Fiction. This book reminded me strongly of the novel Black Beauty. With the movie coming out around Christmas, this might well be the perfect time to read it, and War Horse was definitely a good, if quick read.

Hannah And The Spindle Whorl by Carole Ann Shaw. Kids, Fiction. Another really neat kids book. This one struck my interest on two counts: the location and the use of spinning. Definitely a book I'd recommend for girls mostly though.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Fiction. An intriguing story set in the Depression years around the circus. I'd been told many times to read this book, and finally did. I'm definitely glad I did so.

I'm currently reading:
A History of the Church In The Middle Ages by Donald F. Logan. History, Non fiction. Well written and interesting are the two words that sum up this book. I will admit that I'm not reading this book very diligently, but am leaving it alone for long chunks of time.

Asenath by Anna Patrico. Novel, set in ancient Egypt. Reading as an e-book, which is one of the reasons I'm not as far into it yet. Enjoying the read nonetheless.

Crave by J.R. Ward. Fiction, Paranormal Romance. The second book in the Fallen Angels series, following on Covet. Was reminded about this book and that I hadn't yet read it, when I saw the third book, Envy in the store last week. Not entirely sure what I think of it yet - I'm not getting into it as fast as I did the first books or the Black Dagger Brotherhood series though.

I'm planning to read:
Dragongirl by Todd McCaffrey. Fiction, Science Fiction. Saw it in the library and picked the book up on a whim. Generally, I haven't like Todd's books as much as Anne's. Also, I'm not too sure where in his series this one sits.


Invasion by Mercedes Lackey et al. Fiction, Science Fiction. I'm actually not sure if I'm going to read this one at all. I picked it up from the library to get a better look at it though.

4 comments:

La Toya said...

Hmm! Invasion sounds promising! I've been trying to get into solid sci-fi for a while!!

xo,
Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

Elena said...

It does kind of. I guess my hesitation is because I think of Mercedes Lackey as a fantasy author more than anything, and I don't know anything about the other authors.

There's a lot of good science fiction out there, you just have to find the right type for you.

Thanks for commenting, Lah.

Booking It with Runner Sami said...

I haven't read Lackey in a while, but really enjoy her books. Have a great week!

Elena said...

Mercedes Lackey's one of my favourite authors. Thanks for commenting, Booking It.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...