Wednesday, October 30, 2013

15 Days Book Blogging Challenge: Recommend a Tear Jerker

If you've been following my blog for the past few days, you know by now that I'm participating in the 15 Days Book Blogging Challenge hosted at Good Books and Good Wine. My introductory post for the challenge is here, and I've been looking forward to today's topic: Recommend a Tear-Jerker. Of which I know several. My choice though is going to be:

Magic's Price
Mercedes Lackey
DAW Books
Copyright: 1990
978-0886774264

The cover blurb:
Valdemar- the once-peaceful kingdom protected by the magic of its Herald Mages- is now besieged on all fronts. The king lies near death, the neighboring land of Karse wages a relentless war against Valdemar, and the forces led by a master of dark forbidden magic are massing to stroke the final devastating blow against the kingdom.
And Vanyel, the most powerful Herald-Mage Valdemar has ever known, has become the primary target of the evil which is reaching out to poison all the land. With all his fellow mages slain, Vanyel alone remains to defend his people against the dark master's army. Yet a dream vision has revealed to Vanyel the fate which awaits should he and his Companion Yfandes take up the dark master's challenge. And if either Vanyel or Yfandes falters, the dream will become a horrifying reality in which both Valdemar and its last Herald-Mage must pay the ultimate price....

One of  my favorite books by Mercedes Lackey. I should note before I start raving too much that this is the third book in her Last Herald-Mage series, following on Magic's Pawn and Magic's Promise.

I don't often end up in tears during or after reading a book, but Magic's Price is definitely an exception to that rule. There have been several times I've had tears running down my face at the ending of this one. Of course, at other points in this series, Mercedes Lackey's had me almost rolling on the floor in laughter too, so I guess it balances out. Especially as some of her other books have had the same effect on me - particularly Brightly Burning.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...