Monday, January 2, 2012

All The Books Of Pern Challenge

A reading challenge in honour of Anne McCaffrey, being hosted at West Virginia Red Reads. The challenge requirements are (pasted from the original challenge post):
  • Runs January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012, join in anytime.
  • You can join anytime but only count Pern books you have read this year.
  • Books can be any format.
  • Crossovers with other challenges are allowed.
  • Track progress here, on your blog, on goodreads or LibraryThing. Anywhere really just let me know where you are posting.
  • When you sign up remember your level of participation can go up but it can’t go down.
  • We’ll be keeping track of progress and prizes, etc. on this page.
  • Sign up using Mr Linky at the end of the post.
Levels:
  • Green– The original trilogy (or any 3)
  • Blue- The original trilogy plus the Harper Hall trilogy (or any 6)
  • Brown– Everything with Ms. McCaffrey as sole author (17)
  • Bronze– Everything except the ones written by Todd alone (22)
  • Gold – The whole lot of them (24-25)
If you want to go above and beyond I know there are some short stories out there that I have not listed.  Find them, cite them, email me about them and we can have mini-challenges.
There will be prizes. They will be announced every three months. The first one will be a copy of Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (so Far) of Anne McCaffrey, written by her son and published in 1999. There will be a giveaway page posted March 15, 2012 and the winner will be announced March 31. Updates and thoughtful comments will be critical in winning. More details will be on the contest page.

I'm going to be ambitious and go for the Blue level. The one question I have is whether or not the omnibus edition of The Dragonriders of Pern counts as one book or three. It's the edition I have for the original three volumes.

Other than that, it depends. I don't have copies of the Harper Hall books, though I did like them a fair bit - especially Dragonsong and Dragonsinger.

The books I've read for this challenge:
  1. Dragonsong
  2. Dragonsinger
  3. Dragondrums
  4. Dragonseye

2 comments:

Jamie Gibbs said...

That's a hell of a challenge. I've not read anything by McCaffrey; I think I need to do something about that.

Elena said...

It's certainly a good year for it, Jamie. She's written some very good books too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...