Thursday, November 10, 2011

Booking Through Thursday - E-volution

Booking Through Thursday is a neat little meme about books and reading. I'm not a regular participant, it just depends on the question being asked each week, but this one looks neat.

The question this week has to do with e-readers:
E-readers like the Kindle and iPad are sweeping the nation … do you have one? Do you like it? Do you find it changes your reading/buying habits? If you don’t have one, do you plan to?
(And yes, e-readers and e-books do come up periodically, and yes, we’ve had similar questions in the past, but things change so quickly … it’s worth revisiting.) 
 I do have an e-reader, the Kobo WiFi edition to be specific and I love it. Although, I'm beginning to think I'd like to upgrade to the newest edition of the Kobo, the Vox. I love the battery life - long enough that I can read between three and five books typically and there's no glare to the screen so I can read outside too.

In terms of buying books, I don't think it's changed my habits too much - I'm something of a collector, so those series I already have in hardcopy I'm continuing to buy in actual paper: Mercedes Lackey for example, or Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series. Other series, such as the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian I'm buying for the Kobo.

Basically, I'm still buying a lot of books in paper form - those are an experience I'm not willing to give up - on the other hand, the convenience of the e-reader for travel is unparalleled.

I used to say that the e-reader was really only good for reading fiction, but now they've added (to the later models: the Touch and the Vox) the ability to jump to a footnote or an endnote and back to the text, and also to make your own notes. That change opens up so much more reading options in the non-fiction field, and is my primary reason for wanting to upgrade at some point in the future.

4 comments:

Claire said...

I don't think I could ever give up 'real' books.

My BTT post is here if you'd like a look :)

Elena said...

I can't either, as my groaning bookshelves can attest.

Thanks for commenting, Claire.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I have an iPad and a Nook. I don't buy paper anymore unless I can help it. I bought the Nook to assist Barnes and Noble from not going out of business (so I could continue to buy their books). However, there's no reason for me to ever go into their store. I see jobs disappearing and square footage shrinking in the future.

Elena said...

Unfortunately, that's probably the way it's going to be, Michael. I hope not though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...