Saturday, October 29, 2011

New Book Arrival

Every now and again, I discover (or re-discover) an old favourite book thanks to LibraryThing. Especially thanks to the group "Name That Book". They're absolutely great for telling you what the title and author is for a book based on what you can remember about it - plot synopsis, characters etc. So far, they've helped me rediscover Barbara Hodgson's The Tattooed Map and the Gone-Away Lake books by Elizabeth Enright.

This time, I went to the group for another book that I remembered reading years ago: about a boy and a dog who end up discovering some old bones. As has become usual for this group, there was an answer within a day. And, as has become usual too, my next stop was Abe Books to find the book. The book in question is Mr. Toast And The Woolly Mammoth by Stuart Brent and illustrated by Lilian Obligado. At the same time, I discovered that the book is actually part of a series, though I don't think I ever read any of the others.

The book arrived today. Now, this is where it's neat. I don't remember the cover looking like this at all - cloth outside and no dust jacket. On the other hand, it's been years since I last saw a copy of the book. But, the neat thing is the school library card still stuck in the back of the book. The last date stamped on it is December 15, 1967! And the book looks almost new. Typically when I've had school library discards before, they're in atrocious condition. Were kids just more careful with the books back then? or was this simply not as popular a book?

Either way, I'm looking forward to re-reading this little gem.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...