Friday, October 7, 2011

Book Rambling: Wanting and Not Wanting To Finish A Book

This post has been inspired by the book I'm currently reading: Red Phoenix by Kylie Chan. It's one of those weird book where I want to know what happens next, and yet I also don't want to be reading it a whole lot - even though I do. And, no that's nothing to do with the story at all.

I've figured out what it is though. It's because the next book isn't out yet and I know I'm really going to be wanting to read it. The same thing happened when I finished reading the previous book in the series: White Tiger. The mark of a book that's captured the reader is that it won't let you go even after you've finished it. I was checking on a daily basis to see if the stores had this one yet. So, I want to prolong the enjoyment of reading this book for as long as I can and yet find out what happens.

I've had the same thing happen with Elizabeth Moon's latest series of books too. I'm now waiting for the third book in that series, Echoes of Betrayal (amazon.com link). But, I distinctly remember not wanting to turn the last page on Kings of the North.

The great thing and problem (it is both at the same time) is that once I've finished a book like this I find it really hard to settle to another book afterwards. I've had the same feeling repeatedly after finishing the Lord of the Rings. It feels as though I'm wandering around lost for a while sometimes. In that case though, it's because it's such a satisfying read. In these ones it's more because I have to know what happens next, and I can't.

I guess I should just grit my teeth and settle in for the wait. It's going to be the only answer. At least, in this case it's less than a month away. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this feeling.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...