Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Book Rambling: It's Monday! Meme and Reading Plans

I love the It's Monday! What Are You Reading? meme that Sheila of One Person's Journey Through A World of Books hosts each week, and I participate most Mondays. It's a great way to see what people are reading each week, and to round up the book reviews.

I've been looking at my track record though and noticed something. I've got no problems with "Currently Reading" and "last week I finished reading", but my track record on the third part of the meme "What I Plan To Read" leaves something to be desired. Half of the time, or more, the books I list there, despite doing so with the best of intentions, never even get cracked open. Instead, I end up picking up something completely different.

This current week is a good example of that. I've got Asenath and Crave on the go right now - as books I'm actually reading - and I managed to get my hands on Beauty and the Werewolf, the most recent book Mercedes Lackey's written, so that's the one I'm putting the most time into right now. I also know that when Kylie Chan's latest book, Blue Dragon gets into the local store, that I'm going to be dropping everything to read that.

Some of the other participants though, seem to manage to get those entire planned lists read. That always impresses me!

I think I know what part of it is though: I've always been someone who picks up their next book on a whim, or just based on what I feel like reading: That's something you can't always know at the beginning of the week - nor what opportunities might come during the week, such as the new Steve Jobs biography I got last night.

What about you? Are you opportunistic readers, or do you plan your weeks out - and how does that affect your participation in the It's Monday! What Are You Reading? meme - if you participate, that is?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...