Friday, August 19, 2011

NPR's Top 100 SF/Fantasy Titles

NPR has come out with their list of the top 100 science fiction/fantasy titles in the last week or so. This isn't just a list that someone came up with out of nowhere either. As I understand it, the NPR list was compiled with public input, and people could certainly vote their top ten picks.

With this list, I was rather surprised at the number of the books that I've read, unlike some of the top books lists I've seen making the rounds as memes.On the other hand, I'm somewhat surprised at the inclusion of some of the books they have, such as the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

Going in reverse order (#100-#1), I've read:
  • The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis
  • The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon
  • The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn
  • The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart
  • Old Man's War by John Scalzi
  • Journey To The Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
  • The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind
  • The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
  • The Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny
  • 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne
  • Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
  • Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  • The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan (Though, I don't know if I should include this or not as I've only read as far as Winter's Heart)
  • Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
  • 1984 by George Orwell
  • The Dune Chronicles by Frank Herbers (Again, I've only read a few of the books)
  • Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
  • The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Actually, looking at the list, I can't really call it the top 100 books. A lot of the entries are multi-book series.

Either way, it's a neat look at what people consider to be some of the best science fiction and fantasy out there.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...