Friday, July 29, 2011

What Would You Recommend? - Survival Novels

This is a question I get asked all the time working in the bookstore: "What would you recommend for somebody who loved "_________"? (fill in the blank)" Usually I can come up with something, but that something can be a bit of a wild guess if it's not a book or genre I normally read. This is where you helpful people come in. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

I've recently gotten hooked on watching Man Vs Wild, which has started me on wanting to re-read some of the old Children's/Teen classic books I know of  for survival in the wild stories - namely the Hatchet series by Gary Paulsen and My Side of the Mountain (and sequels).

Aside from those books, does anyone know of any other good novels on the subject? And they don't have to be childrens/teen books. Those are just the ones I already know of and have access to of sorts. A couple of nice solid novels would be good - or  a biography or two.

What would you recommend?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can recommend two non-fiction books which I thought were fantastic and actually read like fiction:

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand http://manoflabook.com/wp/?p=1178

Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff http://manoflabook.com/wp/?p=1917

Alyce said...

I can only come up with nonfiction books. I second the recommendation of Unbroken. I would also recommend Miracle in the Andes by Nando Parrado, Touching the Void by Joe Simpson, Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, and Skeletons on the Zahara by Dean King. I can't think of any fiction other than what you've listed, but I loved Hatchet!

Elena said...

Thanks for the recommendations. Lost In Shangri-la is a book I'd really like to read one of these days.

Thanks for commenting, both of you.

redhead said...

I've always enjoyed Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. it's the first in a series, but you can just read the first one as a stand alone. When an EMP effects the entire Earth, everyone has to suddenly figure out how to live without electricity, and air traffic control towers, and cars, and such. Good book.

Elena said...

Redhead, I love those books too. I last left off reading the Change series somewhere in Sword of the Lady. Thanks for the reminder though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...