Monday, March 7, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading is hosted each week over at One Person's Journey Through A World Of Books. There, Sheila keeps us all on track with our weekly reading.

This past week I finished reading Jules Verne's Journey To The Center of the Earth, which I quite enjoyed.

I'm reading:
The Fires of Vesuvius by Mary Beard. Non fiction about Pompeii.

Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff. Non fiction biography of Cleopatra. Very enjoyable.

The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Fiction, fantasy and one of my favorites. I'm reading because Kings of the North is due out soon, and I can't wait.

Shogun by James Clavell. Ok, this one is only tentatively started.

I'm not planning to add any books to the list this week, so we'll see. The way I read, who knows :).

6 comments:

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I read Paksenarian...good lord that book moved slow. It wasn't so bad though that I stopped reading...it just seemed to take forever. I like the whole female paladin thing and the little details like the delicious gravy in the descriptions of food. Maybe I just prefer my fantasy with a little more "kapow" but again...I still read the whole thing.

Elena said...

All the little details are something I love about this book. Thanks for commenting, Michael.

Mystica said...

James Clavell writes epics and this was a stunner. Enjoy

Nina said...

Shogun is an interesting picture of Japan. I thought his Tai-pan was a better balanced book.

I also agree with Michael about the Paksenarian books - I finished them but the move very slowly.

Have you read Michelle S. West's "Cast" series - a very interesting world.

Elena said...

I've read Shogun before, Mystica and loved it then. Thanks for commenting.

Nina, maybe I'll have to check that one out eventually. As to Paksenarrion, all I can say is "different strokes for different folks". I love the book and race through it every time. Thanks for dropping by with a comment.

Elena said...

Meant to add, that I haven't, Nina, and they don't sound familiar. Maybe I should look them up. Recommendations are always interesting to check out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...