Friday, August 27, 2010

What Would You Recommend? - Knitting & Crochet Books

This is a question I get asked all the time working in the bookstore: "What would you recommend for somebody who loved "_________"? (fill in the blank)" Usually I can come up with something, but that something can be a bit of a wild guess if it's not a book or genre I normally read. This is where you helpful people come in. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

I'm back with the spinning wheel and drop spindle quite a bit this week (I'm usually inspired about this time of year because the spinners guild is at the local fair), and I was figuring that it's time for me to really learn to knit. I can. Sort of. Some of my friends say I've managed to invent my own stitch. But, that's not helpful for doing anything other than squares and scarves. I'm also rather curious to try out crochet - thinking it might work better for some of the stuff I'm spinning now - namely a nice merino/silk combination which is quite fine. But I don't think I have enough of the roving left to spin enough for a proper two ply yarn.

I've had luck with the Teach Yourself Visually series before - namely the one on Handspinning, so I'm rather tempted by that book for Crochet, and someone else raved about their book on knitting. Readers are often also crafters I've found, so I'm sure some of you out there have some good suggestions on these two topics. Personally, I'm looking for books that have clear descriptions (and pictures would be nice too,) of the basic stitches and the like. But, your favorite books on the subjects would be great as well. Even if it's not something I'm skilled enough for yet, I can either pass the recommendations on, or keep them in mind for later.

So, what would you recommend about knitting and crochet?

2 comments:

ukebox said...

I learned using the 10-20-30 minutes to learn to Knit book, it had pictures for everything and several beginner projects that can be worked on in small sections of time.

Elena said...

That looks really neat. And, there's one for Crochet as well. Not to expensive either.
Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...