Friday, April 2, 2010

What Would You Recommend? - Philippa Gregory

This is a question I get asked all the time working in the bookstore: "What would you recommend for somebody who loved "_________"? (fill in the blank)" Usually I can come up with something, but that something can be a bit of a wild guess if it's not a book or genre I normally read. This is where you helpful people come in. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.




Philippa Gregory is one of the more popular and prolific writers of historical fiction. I think there's a full shelf length of her titles at the store I work at. She specializes in fiction about women from the Tudor era: Elizabeth, the Boleyns and others. I get a lot of requests for her books, and I'd love to know what else I can suggest. The Tudor era is a popular one in fiction right now (Probably thanks to the show The Tudors), and it's hard to keep up with the new books on the subject. Until now, I've been suggesting the novels and biographies by Alison Weir, and also the book Bess of Hardwick, written by Mary Lovell. What other books do you think fans of Philippa Gregory will like?

2 comments:

Hannah Stoneham said...

I think that they would enjoy the Tudor books of Jean Plaidy - of which there are several (also - if readers enjoy the Plaidy Tudor books - there are umpteen others covering other periods.

Lovely post!
Happy Easter
Hannah

Elena said...

Thanks for both the recommendation Hannah and the complement.

Happy Easter to you too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...