Friday, January 22, 2010

Night Play - Sherrilyn Kenyon


Night Play
Sherrilyn Kenyon
St Martin's Paperbacks
Copyright: 2004
978-0312992422

The back jacket blurb:
Bride McTierney has had it with men. They're cheap, self-centered, and never love her for who she is. But though she prides herself on being independent, deep down she still yearns for a knight in shining armor.

She just never expected her knight in shining armor to have a shiny coat of fur...

Deadly and tortured, Vane Kattalakis isn't what he seems. Most women lament that their boyfriends are dogs. In Bride's case, hers is a wolf. A Were-Hunter wolf. Wanted dead by his enemies, Vane isn't looking for a mate. But the Fates have marked Bride as his. Now he has three weeks to either convince Bride that the supernatural is real or he will spend the rest of his life neutered--something no self-respecting wolf can accept...

But how does a wolf convince a human to trust him with her life when his enemies are out to end his? In the world of the Were-Hunters, it really is dog-eat-dog. And only one alpha male can win.
 Night Play, the sixth book in Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series is perhaps my favorite of the series. It's actually a toss-up between this one and Unleash The Night. I think it's also one of the first books in the series that I read. I do know that I've re-read it several times (and I'm surprised to find that it's not already reviewed here).

Kenyon has a very different take on the world of werewolves (or other were-creatures) and vampires, including a coherent back-story for their creation. There's werewolves, were-bears, and many others as well. Each of them has two branches that are fated to always be at war.

What I really like about this book is the characters. Bride feels 'real'. She's not perfect, has her flaws and doubts, yet she still gets her happy ending. Vane as well. Along the way they've left me laughing so many times. Just wait until you get to the 'boyfriend meets the family' scenes and you'll see what I mean.

Night Play is, I've found a book that can be read many times with just as much enjoyment as the first time. Yes the books are light entertainment, but they're done in such a way that they don't seem overly formulaic.

I consider this to be a five-star book, and if you like paranormal romance, give it a try.

4 comments:

Marg said...

This is my favourite Dark Hunter book too! The first time I read it, my review was basically Mmmm...Vane! I reread it not too long ago and that was still the case!

Elena said...

I have to ask. What do you think of the newest Dark Hunter/Dream Hunter novels?

Marg said...

I am still working my way through the backlist (haven't read Acheron yet, but I think it is two books away), but really I haven't been blown away by any of them recently. There are books that I really wanted to read (like Fang and Amy) and we are still waiting for those, and then she keeps introducing all these new characters, and they aren't anywhere near as interesting as the earlier ones.

Elena said...

That's what I'm finding too. Oh, I'm still enjoying the books, but none are taking the place of my two favorites.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Fang's story is Bad Moon Rising. That or it's in one of the short story anthologies she's taken part in.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...