Thursday, August 6, 2009

Book Rambling: Music and Reading

I know some writers seem to use music while they're writing. The subject turns up now and again on Laurell K. Hamilton's blog and twitter feed, and iirc, Jo Graham mentions one of Loreena Mckennitt's cd's: An Ancient Muse in the author's note at the end of Hand of Isis. I'm pretty sure I do remember it, as I bought the cd after reading her book.

On a related question, just as some writers seem to use music to help them write, do you find that listening to music has any importance as you read? Does it set the mood or anything? Do you ever put some music on specifically when you read (for example, medieval or early music when reading a book about that time)?

Personally, I don't always find it sets a mood, but there are some points where a book has been linked to a particular piece of music. Usually it's because the first time I read the book I was listening to that song. The best example are the books Dragonflight and Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey. Ever since I first read them, over a decade ago, they've been linked to the ABBA song Soldiers, because that's what I was listening to when I first read the books.

Music has done that for me for other things as well. ABBA The Album has been forever linked to England, as I took the album on my headphones when I travelled.

2 comments:

Wendy Gillissen said...

Interesting topic! I couldn't write without music, I wrote my first novel listening virtually exclusively to 'The Mummer's Dance' by Loreena McKennitt - you might think I had enough of the song after a year and a half, but no. I'm writing a sequel listening to 'Kecharitomene', also by Loreena mcKennitt - the CD with this song came out as I started on it, and it perfectly captures the mood. Pictures just come into my head listening to it.
On the other hand, I require total silence when reading other people's books. It's too distracting! I actually 'see' music as I'm listening. Maybe it's a form of synesthesia ... a creative one:)

Elena said...

I love her music, and I have An Ancient Muse in the player right now.

Thanks for commenting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...