Monday, July 27, 2009

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

As you can see, I've found another Monday meme to participate in. This time it's the "It's Monday! What Are You Reading?" one hosted by J. Kaye of J. Kaye's Book Blog.

Last week I completed the following books:

The Serrano Connection
Elizabeth Moon

A quote from my review:

The Serrano Connection starts out right in the middle of the story, in the aftermath of a mutiny aboard the Despite. That's where things get interesting. I have the feeling that it's continuing on from the ending of Winning Colors in the Heris Serrano omnibus, although I've yet to actually finish that book. The story still makes complete sense though.

The mutiny that Esmaya ended up leading, despite being only a very junior officer being over, she hopes to go back to an ordinary career in the Royal Space Service, while finding out more about this intriguing Ensign she's met. Given that it's at the very beginning of the book, do you really think that's going to happen? Nope. Of course not.

Joust
Mercedes Lackey

A quote from my review:
...At any rate, Joust is a book that kept me up late to finish, and I started the second book Alta right away. Although it was a re-read, that didn't affect the story at all in a negative way (that's something I love about all of Mercedes Lackey's books, they're just as good on re-reading as they were on the first read). Now I've got to find Sanctuary and Aerie to finish the series. Somehow I don't remember if I read them when the series first came out, although I know I read the first two books.

Alta
Mercedes Lackey

A quote from my review:
These books: Joust, Alta, Sanctuary and Aerie are perfectly safe for teens as well as adults, reminding me of the Owl trilogy (Darian) and the Heralds of Valdemar set (Talia), which are also by Mercedes Lackey, in terms of writing style. Also, the ages of the characters are similar to those of many teen books, although it's not explicitly stated anywhere.

Although part of a series, I found that Alta came to a satisfying conclusion of its own. None of this "middle book" stuff where either nothing happens, or the conclusion is left for the final book. Alta almost stands on its own, although there is plenty left for the following books to explore.
The remaining books I've read this past week have yet to be reviewed here:
Sanctuary by Mercedes Lackey and Aerie, also by Mercedes Lackey.

The books I'm currently reading are:
Standard of Honor by Jack Whyte and The Medieval World, edited by Jacques Le Goff.

Standard of Honor is the second book in the Templar trilogy, and The Medieval World is a collection of essays on various aspects of life in the Medieval era in Europe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have a busy week ahead. Looks like you were able to get some great reading in last week too.

Elena said...

I don't exactly expect to get The Medieval World finished this week, thought that would be nice to do (I have so many Medieval era books I want to get to). It's one of those books that seems to last forever, it's so packed with information.

Thanks for stopping by.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Enjoy all your books this week!

Elena said...

Thanks. I certainly plan to.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...