Friday, June 12, 2009

Book Rambling: Cookbooks


If you're going to post about a cookbook, at what point do you feel it is fair to review it?

Surely it would take too long to try every recipe, but when do you think you've given a book a fair shake? I'm wondering because I have an ever growing collection of cookbooks that I've bought. Some of them I haven't tried any recipes from yet, others I've only done a few. The latest addition is Jamie's Food Revolution, which I bought tonight, and I have to say, looks very good. Of course, I'm no expert cook.

On a semi-related thread, what attracts you to a particular cookbook? The author (or other major figure involved)? Is it a T.V. show you've followed? the layout of the book? or is it some other reason entirely?

For myself, it's a combination of the recipes and the layout. The majority have to be not too complicated, and be something I think I'd like to eat. I'm also attracted by the format used in all three of the books above, where every recipe has its' photo. I don't watch cooking shows, so although I'm aware that a particular chef has a show, it doesn't otherwise (as far as I'm aware, anyway) affect my choice.

Jamie's Food Revolution has taken that one step further, and given a step by step series of photos for the preparation of the dish as well as a picture of the finished result.

How about you?

2 comments:

J.G. said...

Sometimes cookbooks are fun to read--or just drool over--even if I never cook a single thing out of them!

Some recipes read better than they taste, anyway. (My experience with Martha Stewart, for example.)

As long as the reviewer is up front about the limitations of the review, not a problem for me.

Elena said...

That's for sure! I work in a bookstore, and keep ending up flipping through the cookbooks. That's how I ended up buying the Cook With Jamie one, along with Quick Breads.

I'll keep that tip in mind about recipes looking better than they turn out (It's happened to me once, but as the other ones I've tried from the book were great, I blamed it on the fact that I didn't really care for some of the ingredients.

Good to know on the last. Looks like I'll be writing up Jamie's Food Revolution soon. Just have to try another couple of recipes first.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...